Website Harrisonburg-Rockingham Emergency Communications Center
The Director of Emergency Communications is a full-time position with benefits and a preferred hiring range of $87,131 – $116,812 annually (equivalent to $41.89 – $56.16 per hour). The ideal candidate for this position will ensure efficient and economical operations by performing difficult professional work in managing the operation of the HRECC, including setting policies and goals under the direction of the HRECC Administrative Board Chairman.
The Director of Emergency Communications:
• Authorizes and approves the hiring, assignment, and evaluation of employees in the
• Oversees the system communication design, procurement, integration, implementation,
and operation of complex communications center equipment;
• Ensures the operational readiness of the Center’s telecommunications and radio
• Analyzes operating procedures and user response issues and establishes protocols in
conjunction with providers;
• Performs overall supervision for special projects related to Center operations;
• Ensures the security of the Center;
• Prepares and submits the annual operational plan to include an overview of budget and
program goals and objectives;
• Controls budgeted expenses;
• Prepares periodic reports to City Manager, County Administrator, City Council, and
County Board of Supervisors;
• Maintains active liaison with all participating localities, law enforcement, and emergency
service providers and other state and local agencies and departments relative to the
operation of the Center;
• Maintains appropriate contacts with the public and the media on the use of the
emergency communications system;
• Represents the Center at meetings, boards, commissions, and more, including making
presentations on departmental matters as required;
• Responds to complaints as necessary;
• Works effectively as a member of the Leadership Team to plan, execute, and evaluate
organization-wide strategies that achieve City Council’s vision and goals and important
Physical Requirements: This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of
force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects;
work requires sitting for long periods, reaching, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions;
work may require walking for a distance and/or walking on rough terrain; vocal communication is required for conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker may be subject to adverse environmental conditions. Potential to be working within hazard zone of an emergency situations.
• Bachelor’s degree with coursework in emergency management or related field and
considerable experience in emergency management in a public safety communications
center that serves police, fire, and EMS functions, or an equivalent combination of
education and experience.
• Driver’s license valid in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
• Available for after-hours response (including nights, weekends, and holidays), as
needed, outside of the position’s normal workweek schedule.
• Current possession of or ability to obtain the following certifications within an appropriate
time period as determined by the City Manager: Virginia Criminal Information Network
(VCIN) and National Crime Information Center (NCIC).
Automatic Disqualifiers for Employment at the HRECC per State Regulations*:
• Felony conviction;
• Serious misdemeanor conviction; and
• Conviction within the past three years – excluding traffic-related offenses.
*Please note that the list above is not all inclusive and is subject to the State Regulations, as
The ideal candidate should have:
• Knowledge of emergency management systems and the use of telecommunications
• Comprehensive knowledge of Federal and State regulations governing the use of radio
Thorough knowledge of:
o The principles and procedures of operations of a dispatch center;
o The principles of telecommunications systems;
o The principles of supervision and personnel management.
• Ability to:
o Work well in emergency situations;
o Prepare plans, budgets, reports, correspondence, operating procedures, training
programs, and schedules;
o Plan and supervise the work of employees;
o Communicate ideas to others;
o Maintain effective working relationships with City and County Officials,
employees, and the general public.
Special Requirements: Successful applicants for this position will be subject to a Division of
Motor Vehicles (DMV) license and driving history query and must complete and pass a
satisfactory credit history review, criminal background check, and drug testing. HRECC
employees are also subject to random drug/alcohol screenings.
Application Requirements: In order to considered for this position, applicants must submit a complete City of Harrisonburg online employment application, including education history and work experience, and attach the following:
• Cover letter;
• Three professional references.
Applicants who are unable to upload the required documents via the online employment
application must email the documents to Human Resources at
Application Deadline: All candidates must submit a complete City of Harrisonburg online
employment application with the documents stated above by 5:00 pm EST on Thursday, March 5, 2020 in order to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
The City provides an excellent full-time employee benefits package including health
insurance, retirement (VRS & ICMA-RC), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran
The City of Harrisonburg & the HRECC are Equal Opportunity Employers.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.