Website Bedford County Emergency Communications
Title Communications Officer – Part Time
Location: 1345 Falling Creek Rd Bedford, VA 24523
Description: The Bedford County Emergency Communications Center is seeking highly motivated individuals to join our team! The Communications Center is the primary Public Safety Answer Point (PSAP) for all non-emergency and emergency 911 calls. In addition, the center dispatches for the Sheriff’s Office, Police Department, all Fire/EMS stations within the County, animal control, and public works. This work is fast-paced and diverse but is highly rewarding and a great way to serve your community!
Requirements Minimum Requirements Include:
- Stable work history and two years of demonstrated similar experience
- Knowledge of County geography and buildings
- Knowledge of communications systems and methods of operations
- Knowledge of radio and teletype procedures
- Ability to type accurately and at a reasonable rate of speed
- Capable of performing essential duties while accurately viewing computer screens from a seated position
- Ability to speak distinctly, problem solve, and work with the general public under stressful operations
- Ability to hear / understand all audio communication systems within the confines of communication center
- Must possess a valid Commonwealth of Virginia driver’s license, proof of insurance required to drive on County business, and acceptable driving record
Must currently possess:
- Valid VA Department of Criminal Justice Services Tele-communicator certificate
- Completion of the DCJS on-the-job training certificate
- APCO Basic Tele-communicator Course, APCO EMD course, APCO Fire Communications, and CPR.
- VCIN Full Access certificate, as required by the Virginia Department of State Police VCIN operating manual
- IS 100, IS200, and IS700 National Management NIMS training
Position is designated as essential personnel. Employees are expected to report to work in all weather conditions in order to maintain critical continuation of key operations. Employee may be required to work beyond a normal schedule to include weekends, holidays, etc.
Preferred Experience includes:
- Associates degree in related field
Bedford County maintains a safe, drug-free workplace for its employees. Drug screening, driving record check, a criminal background check, and previous employer references are required for all positions as conditions of pre-employment.
EOE / ADA / Minorities / Females / Vets
Minimum Salary: $15.25 hourly – Actual salary dependent on qualifications and experience.
Apply Online: https://www.bedfordcountyva.gov/jobs
In Person: Bedford County Administration Building, 122 East Main Street, Suite 202, Bedford, VA 24523
Please provide cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.
Date Posted: 10/15/2020
Deadline: Open until position is filled
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org